Česká Třebová (Czech pronunciation: [ˈtʃɛskaː ˈtr̝̊ɛbovaː]; German: Böhmisch Trübau) is a town in the Pardubice Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 15,000 inhabitants. It is the fourth most populated town and second largest in the Pardubice Region.
Villages Kozlov, Lhotka, Parník, Skuhrov and Svinná are administrative parts of Česká Třebová.
Česká Třebová was founded in the 13th century by king's locator lord Oldřich of Drnholec. In that time, the Roman church of St. Catherine was built. In 1304, the King of Bohemia Wenceslaus II gave it to the Zbraslav Abbey and later, in the 14th century, the town belonged to the bishops of Litomyšl. In the 15th and 16th centuries, the town prospered but due to the subsequent loss of its town rights, the Thirty Years' War, plagues and fires, it became poor and insignificant. In the 19th century, a railway station was built, which greatly aided the town development.
The town's coat of arms sports a black rooster with a human head on a red field. According to a legend, a town scribe lost the town signet and was sentenced to die as a result. Before the execution, his wife saw a rooster dug out the signet from trash, saving her husbands life.
The town is home to a 4th league ice hockey club, HC Kohouti Česká Třebová, which plays at the "Na Skále" arena with a capacity of 1,200.
Česká Třebová railway station is a major railway junction linking Prague with two pan-European corridors. The town experienced rapid development after the station was opened in 1845.
Twin towns – sister cities
Česká Třebová is twinned with:
Agrate Brianza, Italy
Horní Lhota, Czech Republic