The 6th Infantry Division (6. Infanterie-Division) was a unit of the German Army during World War II.
Formed in October 1934 from Infanterieführer VI in Bielefeld, the division was mobilized on 26 August 1939 for the upcoming invasion of Poland. At that time, it consisted of the usual German infantry division elements: three infantry regiments of three battalions each, one three-battalion regiment of light artillery, one battalion of heavy artillery (from a separate artillery regiment, but attached to the particular division), a Panzerjäger (anti-tank) Battalion, a reconnaissance (Aufklärungs) Battalion, a Signals Battalion, a Pioneer (Engineer) Battalion, and divisional supply, medical, and administrative units.
When the Soviets launched Operation Bagration on 23 June 1944, the division was surrounded during the Bobruysk Offensive and completely destroyed.
On 25 July 1944, the division was recreated 6. Grenadier-Division and renamed in 6. Volksgrenadier-Division (9 October 1944). The division was destroyed during the Soviet Vistula–Oder Offensive in January 1945 and reestablished as 6. Infanterie-Division (10 March 1945) using elements of Shadow Division Dresden.
General der Pioniere Walter Kuntze, 15 May 1935
Generalleutnant Arnold Freiherr von Biegeleben, 1 March 1938
Generalleutnant Helge Auleb, 14 October 1940
Generalleutnant Horst Großmann, 25 January 1942
Generalleutnant Egon von Neindorff, 16 December 1943
Oberst Alexander Conrady, 12 January 1944
Oberst Günther Klammt, 19 January 1944
Generalleutnant Hans-Walter Heyne, 1 June 1944
Generalleutnant Otto-Hermann Brücker, until 4 May 1945
Generalmajor Friedrich-Wilhelm Liegmann, 4 May 1945