Aleșd (Romanian pronunciation: [aˈleʃd] (listen); Hungarian: Élesd, Slovak: Alešď) is a town in Bihor County, western Romania. It is located in the east of the county, near the border with Cluj County.
Aleșd is located on the main railway line between Oradea and Bucharest. Consequently, it is served by frequent rapid and intercity (IC) trains from Cluj-Napoca, Bucharest, Arad and Timișoara. Alesd is located in the eastern part of Bihor county, on D.N. 1 (E 60), 38 km from Oradea and 112 km from Cluj-Napoca.
After break-up of Austria-Hungary in 1918, the town became part of Romania in 1920. As a result of the Second Vienna Award, it has been returned to Hungary between 1940 and 1945. Aleşd was declared a town in 1968. It is certain that at first Alesd was on the shores of the Crișul Repede river (meaning ”The fast river”), in its floodplain. In the first half of the 18th century, the population moved to the terrace on the right bank of the Crişul Repede river, in the place that it occupies today. The move was made to escape the frequent floods.
Aleșd has a population of 9,619 (2011 census), made up of Romanians (63.9%), Hungarians (16.04%), Roma (12.73%), Slovaks (6.59%), and others (0.42%). It administers three villages: Pădurea Neagră (Feketeerdő), Peștiș (Sólyomkőpestes) and Tinăud (Tinód).
Alesd City is run by a mayor and a local council composed of 17 councilors. Mayor, Ioan Coloman Todoca, from the National Liberal Party, was elected in 2016.
Miklós Radnóti served his labor draft during World War II in Aleșd.