Alton is a town in northwest Kane County, Utah, United States. The population was 119 at the 2010 census, a decrease from the 2000 figure of 134.
Alton was first settled by Lorenzo Wesley Roundy in 1865 and was originally called "Roundys Station". Roundy's family was forced to leave due to conflicts with the local indigenous tribes. The community was later called "Graham", after Graham Duncan McDonald, a local pioneer. Over the years, many names had been discussed, but a consensus could not be reached. In 1912, a drawing was held at a community event to determine the name of the community. Charles R. Pugh, who had been reading about the Alton Fjord in Norway suggested the name, and it was pulled from the hat by a two-year-old child.
As of the census of 2010, there were 119 people in 39 households in the town. The racial makeup of the town was 89% white, 5% Hispanic or Latino, and 2.5% Native American.
The population was 45 percent male and 55 percent female. The population was 38.7 percent under the age of 18 and 20 percent 65 or over.
Alton is in northwestern Kane County, in a sloping valley known as the "Alton Amphitheater", 4 miles (6 km) east of U.S. Route 89 along Utah State Route 136. Kanab Creek flows past the east side of the community.According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.5 km2), of which 0.04 square miles (0.1 km2), or 1.74%, are water.
The Köppen Climate Classification subtype for this climate is "Csb" (Mediterranean climate).