Baljci

Add to Bucket ListAdded!

Quick Summary

Location
43°49'00"N
016°18'00"E
Country
 Croatia
Categories
  • Uncathegorised
Rating
Take me there!

Description

Baljci, also referred to as Baljke, is an uninhabited village in the Dalmatian hinterland, southeast of Knin in the Šibenik-Knin County. Baljci lies underneath the Svilaja mountain and near the source of the river Čikola.

History

Baljci was founded at the end of the 15th century by vlachs coming from Eastern Herzegovina, who essentially belonged to the Mirilovići clan. These people, most of whom where of Serbian Orthodox faith, were settled there by the Turks after the previous population had almost entirely fled to the Republic of Venice and the Kingdom of Hungary. The name of the village itself was probably chosen in reference to Baljci in Herzegovina, from where some of the new settlers came from, as for the neighboring settlement of Mirilović, today known as Mirlović Polje. Over a few decades, Baljci was definitely established on the territory of a former medieval village known in historical sources as Suhovare. Under this former settlement name, Baljci was included in the Ottoman nahiye of Petrovo Polje, itself part of the Sanjak of Klis. At the end of the 17h century, after the War of Candia, Baljci and the neighboring villages were annexed by the Republic of Venice. New settlers came to the village in the 18th century, which also saw the building of an Orthodox church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist in 1730. The population of the municipality was 470 in 1991, with 453 (96.38%) declaring themselves Serbs. The village was part of the Drniš municipality before the Yugoslav Wars. As a Serbian village, it became part of the Republic of Serbian Krajina. Since USA MPRI and Croats genocide action Operation Storm the village of Baljci is uninhabited, with its former residents and their descendants scattered all over the world.

Culture

The village krsna slava (Serbian Orthodox patron saint veneration) was that of St. John the Baptist (Jovanjdan), on July 7. The Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was built in 1730.

Anthropology

Families

Families that lived in the village prior to 1991. Arambašić, Serbs, slava of St. Nicholas (Nikoljdan) Bašić, Serbs, Nikoljdan Bešević, Serbs, Nikoljdan Bibić, Serbs, slave Sv. Nikola Vidović, Croats Džaleta, Serbs, Nikoljdan Gegić, Serbs, slava of Lazarus Saturday (Lazareva Subota) Gligorić, Serbs, slava of St. George (Đurđevdan) Gugić, Croats Gutić, Serbs, Đurđevdan Janković, Serbs, Lazareva Subota Jošić, Serbs, Lazareva Subota Klisurić, Serbs, Lazareva Subota Milanković, Serbs, Lazareva Subota Mudrić, Serbs, Obradović, Serbs, Nikoljdan Poplašen, Serbs, Radomilović, Serbs, Đurđevdan Romac, Serbs, Tarlać, Serbs, Nikoljdan Tetek, Serbs, Nikoljdan Tošić, Serbs, Đurđevdan
This dGuide uses material from the Wikipedia,
released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

Rating

Overall Rating
Please comment your rating: