Cardonville is a commune in the Calvados department and Normandy region of north-western France.
World War II
After the liberation of the area by Allied Forces in early June 1944, engineers of the Ninth Air Force IX Engineering Command began construction of a combat Advanced Landing Ground outside of the town. Declared operational on 14 June, the airfield was designated as "A-3", it was used by the 368th Fighter Group which flew P-47 Thunderbolts until the end of August when the unit moved into Central France. Along with the 368th, the 370th Fighter Group flew P-38 Lightnings from the airfield until mid-August. With the combat units moved out, the airfield was closed.