Davidson is a town in south central Saskatchewan, Canada. It is located 104 kilometres (65 mi) south-east of Saskatoon beside provincial highway 11 as well as Highway 44, in the rural municipality of Arm River. It is located approximately halfway between Saskatoon and Regina, is a popular stopping-off with many restaurants and gas stations located adjacent to the highway.
In 1902 Colonel Andrew Duncan Davidson, an enthusiastic entrepreneur from Glencoe, Ontario, came to Saskatchewan in hopes of creating a 'midway' settlement between the cities of Regina and Saskatoon. With agriculture as one of his driving passions, Davidson, through the Saskatchewan Valley Land Company, purchased 700,000 acres (2,800 km2) from the railway and the federal government in an area where the soil was particularly suitable for grain farming. Davidson organized a train route that travelled from Chicago to Saskatoon; making one stop in Davidson on the way. This train route brought American bankers, entrepreneurs and newspapermen in hopes of starting up new businesses in the area. With the expansion of the community underway, Davidson also managed to sell more than 180,000 acres (730 km2) of land in the area.Within a short period of time, Davidson, which was declared the name of the community, was nicknamed the 'Midway Town' because of its central location. On 15 November 1906, Davidson was officially declared a town.During World War II the Royal Canadian Air Force built and operated RCAF Station Davidson as a component of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The station was constructed on a site 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) east of the town. This site should not be confused with Davidson Municipal Airport which is adjacent to the town, on the south end.
Sports and recreation
Hockey, baseball, fitness, curling, figure skating, dance, gymnastics, and riding are some of the activities offered to members of the community. The Davidson Cyclones of the Long Lake Hockey League play at the Davidson AGT Centre.Davidson is home to the 9-hole grass green, Davidson Golf and Country Club.
The swimming pool beside the local campground offers swimming lessons.