Davle is a market town in Prague-West District in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 1,800 inhabitants. It is located more than 24 km (15 mi) south of Prague at the confluence of the Vltava and Sázava rivers.
Villages of Sázava and Sloup are administrative parts of Davle.
The first historical mention of Davle is the founding of benedictine monastery of St. John the Baptist by Bohemian duke Boleslaus II in 999. When the important monastery at Sekanka was destroyed in 1278 by Brandenburg, Davle monastic building were enlarged. The site became the center of religious communities within Upper Davle area.
In 1310 Davle received a papal bull from Pope Clement V giving it rights as a market town. These privilege and coat of arms were conferred on Davle by Ottokar II of Bohemia in the 14th century.
In the second half of the 13th century, gold was mined around the confluence of the Vltava and Sázava rivers, creating a boom period for the area. The village was also an important stopping point for rafters using the two waterways as trade routes. However, after the monastery was abandoned in 1517, Davle reverted to a village.
In 1848, Davle was incorporated into a municipality with nearby villages of Měchenice and Svatý Kilián. In 1900 a railway line connecting Davle to Prague was completed. In the 1930s, the village's status was again revised. After the end of World War II, it was assigned to the Prague-South District. In the 1950s Svatý Kilián lost its status as a hamlet. Since 1961 Davle was an independent municipality part of Prague-Měchenice.
On 11 March 2008, Davle was given the status of a market town.
The area is popular with walkers and hikers as several long-distance trails pass through the market town.
Davle has a basic network of shops, medical facilities, primary school, post office, sports hall, community hall, savings bank and library.
In 2006 a new sewage and wastewater treatment plant was built near the town.
Davle is known for its pottery, metalwork and leather goods such as saddlery and footwear.
Monastery of St. John the Baptist near Davle;
Church of St. Kilian (in the southern part Davle), this is only the consecrated example in Bohemia;
Neo-Baroque Chapel of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary (built in 1897);
Sázava Farm, which has a protected monumental oak.
In popular culture
In the summer of 1968 scenes for the film The Bridge at Remagen were filmed using the Davle Old Bridge.