Dupljaja (Serbian Cyrillic: Дупљаја) is a village in Serbia. It is situated in the Bela Crkva municipality, in the South Banat District, Vojvodina province. The village has a Serb ethnic majority (90.74%) and a population of 996 (2002 census).
History and archaeology
Archaeologist have discovered the remains of the old Slavic city Karaš, which was the capital and the largest fort of Banat in the 11th century. The remains include part of an old church and part of the building which supposedly was the palace of the prince, as well as several hundred coins that originated from central and western Europe and pieces of golden and silver jewels. There are also remains from Prehistory and from the Bronze Age (mostly belonging to the Dubovac culture). Famous archaeological Bronze Age artifacts from Dupljaja are the so-called "Dupljajska kolica" ("the carts from Dupljaja" in English), which are about 3,500 years old.In 1921, the population of Dupljaja included 1,149 Serbs, 19 Romanians, 10 Slovaks, 10 Germans, and 2 Hungarians.