Dworcowa Street is one of the main streets of Bydgoszcz, in Downtown district (Polish: Śródmieście). Many of its buildings
are registered on Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship Heritage List.
Across the street, between Warmia and Marcinkowskiego street runs the 18°E longitude Meridian, so-called Bydgoszcz Meridian.
The street is located in the western part of Downtown Bydgoszcz. It runs from the intersection with Gdanska Street to the intersection with Sigismund Augustus Street, where is the main train station, Bydgoszcz Główna.
Hence its name: "Train station" in polish is "Dworzec", "Dworcowa Street" thus means "Train Station Street".
Until 1851, the path was a dirty road leading from Bydgoszcz to Koronowo. The development of the street is associated with the building of Bydgoszcz Main Railway Station in 1851, which led to assimilating the close settlement of Bocianowo (German: Brenkenhoff) into the city precinct.On an 1861 map of the area, the vicinity of the railway station shows dispersed housings: it is only in the early 20th century that compact constructions make their appearance along the street. Some specific quarters near Gdanska street and close to the Main station have shown earlier activity, with the development of hotel buildings:
Hotel "Pod Orlem" (1893), Hotel Pawlikowski (1898) in Gdanska Street;
Hotel du Nord (1875), Heises's Hotel (1884), Schliep's Hotel (1889) near the Main Station.At the end of the 19th century, Dworcowa street had an industrial and commercial character. In its surroundings flourished trade houses, craft workshops and restaurants or bars. The industrial buildings and warehouses occupied the area between the street and the Brda river, while along the street were located flats and shops. The largest companies at then Bahnhoffstraße were:
Fabryka Sygnałów Kolejowych (Railway Signals Factory);
J.G. Neumann's Brick factory (German: Ziegelfabrik);
Printhouse Ortis (established by Hermann and Emil Dittmann) They published the "Deutsche Rundschau", and after World War II all the local newspapers.Between 1890 and 1914, many houses along the street have been transformed into 3 to 4 storey buildings, displaying ornated facades (e.g. building at No.55, decorated with a head of Hermes), turning the venue into one of the most representative in the city. In the final section of the street near the Main Railway Station, there used to stand five hotels, furnished as tenements.Street trams have been operated since 1888, first horse powered, then electrical ones in 1896. The line (Red) ran along the entire length of the street from the station to Gdańska Street.
In 1990, tram traffic has been suspended for technical reasons. Since then a partial restoration of the line has been performed after the revitalization of the street.Through history, this street had the following names:
1852-1920 - Bahnhoffstraße (Main Station street in German);
1920-1939 - Ulica Dworcowa;
1939-1945 - Albert-Forsterstrasse (named after nazi leaderAlbert Forster);
From 1945 - Ulica Dworcowa .
Dworcowa Street is 1242 m long and is almost entirely built with stylish houses. It is considered as one of the most important axis, historically and functionally in downtown Bydgoszcz. Its architectural landscape is quite diverse, with houses of different scale and style coexisting together.
For the most part, street facades display architectural features fashionable in the years 1860-1914:
Modern architecture.Oldest buildings have been built in Neoclassical style, usually with simple, symmetrical facades and modest decorations. During the last quarter of the 19th century, elements of Neo-Renaissance, Neo-Gothic and Neo-Baroque start to appear on houses. Most impressive buildings have been erected between 1900 and 1915: it was the emergence of breaking architectural styles, such as Historicism, Secession and early Modern architecture.The Prussian Eastern Railway Headquarters has been erected in the late 1880s, and was at the time the most magnificent public property in the entire city.
Dworcowa street has been the playground of many local and Berlin's architects. However, past major bydgoszcz designers, Joseph Święcicki and Fritz Weidner who built 29 edifices in Gdanska Street, only designed four buildings in Dworcowa.
Most noticeable tenements are located on the southern side of the street: three buildings have been registered on the Heritage List since 2010.
Most prominent buildings include:
Former Prussian Eastern Railway Headquarters;
State Archives Building at No.65;
Tax House at Warminskiego No.18;
HotelsFormer "Asystenta at No.79;
Centralny at No.85;
Hotel Brda (built in 1968-1972).
Dworcowa Street being one of the most important streets in downtown Bydgoszcz, it has been identified to be the target of a vast revitalisation plan.
In 2009, in the Local Plan for the Revitalization of Bydgoszcz has been included the project Revitalisation of Dworcowa street. Costs amount to 6.4 million PLN, supported by a 4.2 million PLN EU funding under the 2007-2013 Regional Operational Programme for Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship.The project encompassed:
the modernization of Dworcowa street with a pedestrian pavement;
the addition of green areas;
the landscaping on the section between Gdanska Street and Matejki street.In addition, the section leading from Matejki street to Main Railway Station has seen the restoration of tram circulation and the refurbishment of a historic building by Fritz Weidner in the immediate vicinity, converted to a Municipal Cultural Center.
Means of transportation
Since 2012, tram lines No.5 and No.8 run on the section from Matejki street to Sigismund Augustus street, using a special bridge built for the occasion.In addition, bus lines (54, 67, 75, 71, 79, 80, 83, 84, 31N, 33N) run on the section between the train station and Królowej Jadwigi street.
Department store "Jedynak", crossing with Gdańska Street No.15
Registered on Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship heritage list, No.601296-reg.87/A, December 10, 19711910-1911, by Otto Walter
One of the first Department Store built in then Bromberg, it pioneered the use of reinforced concrete in a modern design.
Tenement at No.2 corner with Pomorska Street No.1
1884, by Karl Bergner
This corner house has been commissioned by Mr Jäfel, a lithograph. In 1908, a drugstore run by Dr Aurel Kratz opened there: it was also selling goods for cameras until World War I. Aurel Kratz then moved to Friedrichstraße.The building has a triangular footprint plot, a challenge for the designer. It displays a nice bay window on the corner facade. The first floor windows, around the bay-window are more adorned than others with flanking pilasters topped with corbels and a frieze of ornaments. Second floors windows are capped by triangular pediments and have also small corbels and pilasters. Third level openings are only flanked by lean pilasters and pediment topped. A line of designed corbels runs beneath the roof.
Tenement at No.3
1893-1894, by Carl Stampehl
Eduard Merres, an instrument craftsman for surgery, nursery and optics, was the first owner of the house, then located at Bahnhoffstraße 2. In 1907, the new owner was Mr. Conitzer, a businessman member of the very family running at that time the neighbouring department store.
The facade has been restored in 2015, giving more sharpness to all the different details. It is almost a classical one, but for the asymmetry: on first level, one notices heavily adorned windows (triangle pediments, pilasters with consoles), the second floor is less decorated and topped by a dense Corbel table. The gate axis is stressed by a monumental balcony and a smaller one above. The entry door transom light is crowned by a delicately carved female figure.
Tenement at No.4
1887, by Józef Święcicki and Anton Hoffmann
Julius and Herß Krojanter, were the first owners of the house at Bahnhoffstraße 97: they were cereals merchants
and had their counter in the building. In the 1920s, the tenement housed a kitchenware shop, A. Hensel".
The facade lost all its original adornments during renovation. However, the row of square windows on the top witnesses the original Neoclassical features.
Tenement at No.5
Amelie Sieg, a rentier and widow of a mason, was the first owner of the tenement in the 1870s. From the 1900s (decade) till World War I, the new owner, Ernst Knitter, was a merchant selling kitchenware and ironmongery.The elevation has been renovated in 2015, underlying the delicacy of the ornamentation: the front pediment, the gate frame with its two facing figures, the pilasters and the corbel table.
Tenement at No.6
A baker, Wilhelm ßiehl, was the first landlord of the house in 1869, which address was then Bahnhoffstraße 96. He lived there until the start of World War I.
The facade displays Neoclassical elements: symmetry, smooth wall, ornamented windows for each floor, small openings at the top of the elevation, topped with a corbel table, and a small stone balcony.
Tenement at No.7
ca 1875-1900Eclecticism & Neoclassicism
Gabriel Czalla was the first owner of the house at Bahnhoffstraße 4.The symmetrical facade lost its initial ornaments during the 20th century. However, one can still appreciate the overall disposition, with the slight avant-corps underlining the axis of the entry gate, flanked by high pilasters continuing to the first floor.
Tenement at No.10
Initially registered at Bahnhoffstraße 95, the first owner was a merchant, Gustav Wollenberg, who lived at today's Gdańska Street 12 (Danzigerstraße 164).
The facade has been rebuilt in 1935, the entire building refurbished in 2016. Nice motifs have been brought back to life, such as cartouches with mustached figures or ornaments on corbels and pediments.
Otto Pfefferkorn tenement at No.12
1909, by Fritz WeidnerHistoricism
Otto Pfefferkorn owned a successful furniture factory in Bromberg, which still exists today.
He had this tenement designed by Fritz Weidner, which comprised at the time almost 200 rooms. It was also used as a one of its many selling points in the city (others were found at today's Gdańska Street, Theatre square, Podolska or Pestalozziego streets). He even opened branches in Warsaw or Katowice. In 1912, the building was awarded city most beautiful facade!Most of the architectural details of the facade have unfortunately vanished. Be that as it may, one can make out the asymmetry of the elevation, characteristic of Fritz Weidner. He used bow windows unbalanced positions, balconies at different levels and with different shapes to reach his goals.
Apro building at No.13
2011, by Danuta JarosewskiModern architecture
The building has been realized within the frame of the revitalization of Dworcowa street. In the early 20th century, the plot was the site of a successful printhouse owned by A. Dittmann.
Tenement at No.14
The first owner of this house, then at Bahnhoffstraße 93, was Ernst Schmidt, a merchant. He stayed there until World War I. After 1900, it housed the seat of engineering firm Weidlich & Berthold".
Neo-Renaissance features of the building (arched windows, pediments, low roof), could almost be called Neo-baroque by the choice of volute shaped motifs for the wrought iron balconies, or the roof pediment.
Tenement at No.15
Registered at Bahnhoffstraße 6, then 6a at its inception, the building was commissioned by F.M. Schoenfelder, who rented the rooms. In 1910, the edifice housed the Bromberg music and opera school (German: Bromberger musikschule and opernschule), run by Carl Schöne who lived there.The main elevation still awaits better days, however, one can notice characteristic elements of neoclassic architecture: symmetry, triangular pedimented windows, cartouches with rosettes and corbel table. In particular, one can appreciate the preserved entrance, with a wrought iron grillwork adorned with sunflowers and leaves, as well as the large wood double door topped with a transom light. The building has been entirely renovated at the beginning of 2019.
Tenement at No.16
Ferdinand Th. Zorn, a wood manufacturer and merchant, at Bahnhoffstraße 92was the first owner of the tenement. He kept it till World War I.
The style and shape of the facade is clearly echoing the one at No.14. However, it displays clearly Neo-Renaissance characteristics. Motifs are neat, each floor has a specific window adornament, the slight bay window stresses the symmetry of the elevation. One can notice the minute ornamentation of this bay-window (niches, balustrade, volutes) as well as the corbel table at the top.
Tenement at No.17
First owner of the building at Bahnhoffstraße 6 was Wilhelm Schönfelder. In 1888, Hermann Löhnert moved here as landlord: he was the founder and director of a joint-stock company of a factory producing machines for foundries, established in 1868 in Bydgoszcz. The firm still exists today, under the name Makrum, located at Leśna street 11-19.Although lacking maintenance, the facade still boasts architectural details. Pediments on first floor windows, but also bossages are present. The most interesting decoration is the adornament surrounding middle openings on both floors: pilasters and garland ornaments are topped on the upper floor by crown ornaments.
Tenement at No.19 corner with Warmińskiego street
Registered on Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship heritage list, No.601287-Reg.A/968, November 12, 19921880, by Albert RoseEclecticism
Friedrish Giese, a brewer at Bahnhoffstraße 7a was the first owner of the house. Otto Pfefferkorn, a successful entrepreneur in the furniture business, acquired it in 1887, before having his own house built at No.12. In 1910, the building became an hotel, Reichshof, run by Carl Müller. In 1922, it changed to Goplana, run by Jan Gawron, then "Boston". From 1932 to 1939, it has been renamed "Gastronomia" with led by H. Katorski. It is now a habitation building, where the Honorary Consul of the Federal Republic of Germany in Bydgoszcz moved in 2019 -previously it was located at 49 Śniadeckich street.
The building renovated in 2019 a nice decoration on the first floor, with pediments topping windows and ornamented cartouche beneath, as well as a row of round openings below the roof. The main feature is the grand two-floor stretched bay window standing on streets corner.
Tenement at No.22
The Gottschalck family has owned Bahnhoffstraße 89 building since 1876. In the 1900s (decade), Hermann Albrecht, a merchant became the owner: at that time he also possessed the tenement at No.20 and at 18 Warmińskiego Street. Since 1990 is located here one of the first pizzeria in Bydgoszcz (Pizzeria Ambar).
The main elevation shows nice architectural details: a large wrought iron balcony overlooking a delicate wrought iron entry gate, pediments on first floor windows, corbels on the second floor and arch topped windows in the middle of the facade.
Tenement at No.23
The first registered owner of Bahnhoffstraße 9 is Emil Albrecht, running a blacksmith workshop producing wagons.The facade on the street displays a lean and balanced elevation, renovated in the late 2010s.
Tenement at 18 Warmińskiego street corner with Dworcowa Street
1905, by Carl Rose
First mention of the building at then Bahnhoffstraße 88 occurred in 1872: Hermann Burow, a backer, was the owner. In 1890, August Hoffmann set up there a butcher shop (German: Fleischerei und Wurst-Fabrik). During the interwar period, it has been the local seat of the National Bank of Poland. It is now the seat of Bydgoszcz Tax Office .
The building recently renovated is a nice showcase of Art Nouveau architecture in Bydgoszcz: round shapes (dormers, gate, windows), vegetal motifs on the elevation, the bay windows and asymmetry of both facades.
Tenement at No.27
Carl Wilhelm Feyertag, a merchant, was the first owner of this house then at Bahnhoffstraße 11. His widow lived there till the 1910s. Feyertag widow owned also a tenement at Piastkowski Square No.19.
Facade style is inspired by Neoclassical architecture, similar to the neighbouring at No.29. Pilasters underline the symmetry of the elevation, with the balcony in the center.
Tenement at No.29
Like at No.27, Carl Feyetag was the first registered owner of this building in the 1870s, then at Bahnhoffstraße 12. However, he never lived there. In the late 1850s, the architect Anton Hoffmann rented there with his family.
The facade displays typical Neoclassical style: symmetry, bossage wall on the bottom and a corbel table on the top. It has been renovated in 2017.
Tenement at No.31
1881, by H. Jenisch & Scheithauer
French and North European Eclecticism
At its inception, the tenement belonged to Franz Marr, a beer dealer, then in 1910 it was the property of Hermann Briebe, a furniture dealer.The house differs from its neighbours by its height (one additional floor), and by its architecture with more ornaments (pilasters, corbels) and its motifs (garlands, frieze).
Antonie Bomrente Tenement at No.33
1891, by Fritz WeidnerNeo-Renaissance
Antonie Bomrente, a cooper, was the first owner of the actual building until World War I. It was then located at Bahnhoffstraße 14: the facade still bears this initial numbering.
Many architectural details are still present on the building: above the gate, dividers, symbol of architecture, are set above a small barrel, recalling the profession of the first landlord. Two slight avant-corps balanced each side of the edifice. On the first floor, the middle part is enhanced by flanking pilasters with rosettes topped by a balustrade. Corbel tables crowns the facade, the ensemble is overlooked by a series of gable wall dormer.
Tenement at No.35
First reference of Bahnhoffstraße 15 is made around 1870, with Louis Gosdynski, a rentier, as owner. In 1900, building's property moved to Wilhelhm Zweiniger, a furrier.
The facade on Dworcowa street shed light on the fact that initially the tenement has been designed as two different houses, No.15 & 15a. There is clearly a divide between the left part bending on Neo-Renaissance style (symmetry, naked walls, flat roof) and the right one inclining on eclecticist diversity (balconies, bossage wall, cartouche decoration, mansard roof).
Aleksander Theil Tenement at No.39 - corner with Marcinkowskiego street
1890, by Józef Święcicki
The house at then Bahnhoffstraße 17 was commissioned by Alexander Theil, a rentier living at Gammstraße 14. The building housed on the ground floor three shops, each with a small apartment in the back and the upper floors accommodated two four-room apartments.The corner house is remarkable by the ornamental painting between the windows of the first floor of the elevation on Dworcowa street. The edifice is massive, but the richness of its ornaments and motifs help it having a certain lightness.
Schultz Tenement at No.40
This building, then at Bahnhoffstraße 78, has been commissioned by the Schultz family, saddler masters. At the end of the 19th century a widow, Pauline Schultz, lived there, but her relatives owned the edifice till the outbreak of the second world war.The house has been refurbished down to minute details in early 2018 One can admire the quality of the motifs: pilasters, rosettes, bossage on facade edges, balustrades, table corbel on top and a finely crafted winged helmet head of Hermes inside the pediment overlooking the main door.
Tenement at No.41 corner with Marcinkowskiego street
1904, by Erich Lindenburger
Franz Muhme, a mason, was the first owner of the actual building then at Bahnhoffstraße 18: he was mainly renting rooms.
In the 1910s, the house was divided into five properties, which landlords were: Mr. Meyer and Mr Giefe, rentiers not living in Bromberg, Hermann Lemke, a baker who had his shop there, Jahnke Jr., an engineer and Wilhelm Tornow, a mechanic.
Facades, renovated in 2015, have Neo-Baroque and early Modernism elements. The architect varied the effects to render the asymmetry: bay window, corner terrace and balconies, cartouches, eyelid dormer on the corner but a row of shed dormers on the roof giving onto Dworcowa Street. The house lost one of its corner tower during a fire.
Willy Grawunder Tenement at No.45
1906, by Erich Lindenburger
The house, then at Bahnhoffstraße 19, has been commissioned by Willy Grawunder, a merchant running a hardware store/perfumery in the premises. At the end of the 1920s, Willy Jahr, successful owner of a bicycle factory at Nakielska street 89, opened there a selling point for his production.
Facade compositions include loggias and balconies highlighted with wavy ornamented pilasters. The portal is also adorned with a wavy oval, similar to Art Nouveau townhouses in Munich. Eric Lindenburger used similar motifs for house at No.47 and at Adam Mickiewicz No.3.
Bruno Grawunder Tenement at No.47
1905, by Erich Lindenburger
Eclecticism, Munich Secession elements
Bruno Grawunder, a jeweler, supposedly a relative of Wilhelm at No.45, had this house built at then Bahnhoffstraße 20.The compositions on elevation include bow windows topped by balconies, loggias plus especially highlighted cartouches and a grand frieze elements deployed like square boards on top of the facade. Interiors materials are partly original woodwork and stained glass.
Tenement at No.48, corner with Sienkiewicza street
Bahnhoffstraße 74 has been built in the early 1880s by Rob. Tuchscker, a pharmacist. He opened there his pharmacy, Kronen Apotheke, one of the few in the city at the time. A new pharmacist, Emil Affeldt, took over the firm at the same place from 1900 till the end of the 1920s.
Beautifully restored in 2018, the corner tenement displays two symmetric facades with a neo-classic style and a wrought iron balcony on its corner.
Tenement at No.49
Friedrich Heller, the first owner, was running a wine and spirit shop there (Bahnhoffstraße 21).The main elevation is remarkable for its wrought iron balconies, and also for the ornamented cartouches on bay windows and facade. Ornaments include figures of woman, stylized lion, garlands and other vegetal motifs specific to Art Nouveau.
Tenement at No.50 corner with Sienkiewicza Street
Christian Theodore Hinß has been running there a coach workshop (German: Wagenfabrikant) since 1880. His relative Carl was landlord till 1917.
Facades display a northern Neo-Renaissance style with elaborate ornament and scrollwork (on pediments, cartouches), balustrades, pinnacles, together with stone blocks imitation, bay windows and a mansard roof.
Ludwig Schultz Tenement at No.54
1893-1894, by Józef Święcicki
North European Mannerism, forms of Neo-Gothic
The house at then Bahnhoffstraße 72 was part of an extensive property, between Dworcowa and Lipowa street which belonged to Ludwig Schultz, co-founder of shipping company Schultz und Winnemer. The firm survived till World War I. During the interwar, the building housed a shelter for poors, run by Hermann Dietz.It is an exceptional house with a very narrow body, a side wing with entrance on it. Most interesting are the arrangement of loggias, pinnacles, narrow and tall windows with small gargoyles to drain the water.
Tenement at No.55/57
Plots situated between Bahnhoffstraße 22 and Bahnhoffstraße 28 (from today 's Dworcowa No.51 to 61) were property of the Prussian Railway Direction (German: Preußische Ostbahn) which had tenements erected to house officials, personnel and administration. The building at No.55/57 was one of them, realized in the beginning of the 20th century.
The massive building shows balanced facade with two grand bay windows, several balconies and a large terrace running between the gable, beneath dormers. Worth underlining are the two gates adorned with a typical Art Nouveau female figure (No.55) and with vegetal curly scrollwork (No.57).
Theodore Flöther Tenement at No.56
At its inception, landlord of actual tenement (then at Bahnhoffstraße 71) was Theodore Flöther, who was the founder of a firm producing agricultural machines in Jasień, Lubusz Voivodeship. Both the actual building and the neighbouring one (No.58, non existent today) have been used to showcase the production of the factory till end of World War I. In the 1930s, the building housed a coffee shop roasting and grinding coffee, run by W.J. LuczkowskiThe ground floor of the edifice still got the large curved glass openings designed for exhibiting machines. First floor windows are framed with delicate ornamentation and scrollwork, especially the larger one on the right, with its early Art Nouveau tympanon motifs inside the triangular pediment.
Tenement at No.61
1873-1874, by Gustaw Weihe
Gustaw Weihe, the architect selected for this building, will later be the main designer of Hotel Ratuszowy in Długa street in 1881. The house was first possessed by the Wulf brothers (Adolf & Theodor), factory managers: the also had the adjoining house where the tramway line runs today to the bridge over the Brda. Later, in the 1880s, all plots situated between Bahnhoffstraße 22 and Bahnhoffstraße 28 (from today 's Dworcowa No.51 to 63) were bought by the Prussian Railway Direction (German: Preußische Ostbahn) to house officials, personnel and administration.
The main elevation is influenced by Italian Cinquecento, with its pilastered windows and the triangular pediments. Refurbished in 2018, one can now make out fine details, such as scrollworks, a row of lion's heads crowning the elevation and a nice stretch of rosettes spanning like a frieze.
Tenement at No.62
The tenement, then at Bahnhoffstraße 68, had for first landlord Julius Bebersdorf, living at the abutting house (today's 64).Restored in 2019, the facade displays a symmetric facade with a neo-classic style.
Prussian Eastern Railway Headquarters, at No.63
Registered on Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship heritage list, No.601288-Reg.A/748, December 10, 1971
1886-1889Martin Gropius, Heino Schmieden
Seat of Prussian Eastern Railway (1889-1895), then regional directorate (1895-1920), Pomeranian rail agency and the Central Bureau of Foreign Settlements (1922-1939), and seat of French-Polish Rail Association (1937-1939).
State Archives building, at No.65
First owners of the building, initially a residential one at Bahnhoffstraße 29, were the Wulf brothers (Adolf & Theodor), factory managers and landlords of adjoining plots (No.61 and 63): they had this house built as office and residential building. After the liquidation of their company in 1876, the building has housed in 1886 the General Commission (German: general kommissionsgebäude) conducting land reform in East and West Prussia as well as in the Grand Duchy of Poznań. Since 1906 it operates as an archive building. At the back of the plot, one can still spot the old brick factory buildings from the Wulf brothers' period.
Tenement at No.66
1886, by A. Hardt
Eduard Greuer, a locksmith was the first landlord of this tenement located at then Bahnhoffstraße 66. In the 1910s the new landlord, Joseph Zawitaj, had his metal moulding workshop there.The facade displays a typical Neo-Renaissance style, with Italian forms: triangular and curved pediments, cartouches beneath first floor windows, a minute avant-corps and a wrought iron entry gate.
Erick Hecht tenement, at No.67
1912-1913, by Otto Walter
Erick Hecht, a bookseller who had his shop on Dantzigerstraße No.19, commissioned Berliner architect Otto Walther to design his house at Bahnhoffstraße 30. Otto Walther, at the time, had just finished realizing the department store Jedynak at the crossing with Gdańska Street.
The main elevation is overwhelmed with bas-reliefs, among which:
A horse rider above the entrance gate;
A fish, symbolizing the owner, since Hecht means pike in German;
A 19th-century girl, another with horns, a baby's head, a man with royal attributes;
A figure supposed to be Lady Godiva.
Tenement at No.68
1893-1894, by Karl Bergner
Eclecticism & Neo-Renaissance
The initial owner of the house at then Bahnhoffstraße 65 was Karl Schultz, a metal craftsman.The building echoes almost perfectly its neighbour at No.66. Same Neo-Renaissance features, identical size and similar architectural motifs.
Hermann Dyck Tenement at No.71, corner with Krolowa Jadwiga Street
Hermann Dyck, a merchant selling steam sawmills, had the house at Bahnhoffstraße 31 erected by Fritz Weidner.
Rebuilt entirely in 1956, the facade lost its original Neo-Baroque features.
Herold tenement, at No.73
1911-1912, by Otto Müller
Fritz Herold, a rentier, had this building located at Bahnhoffstraße 31a constructed by Otto Müller. He moved there in 1898. Unfortunately, the tenement burned down in 1945. The architect Fritz Weidner has lived there with his family till 1937.
Urban-type building, the facade displays bay windows and bow windows with an inclination to Art Nouveau: round gable top, vegetal motifs, curved cartouches and an adorned gate.
Ernst Baudelow tenement, at No.74 - corner with Matejki street
Ernst Baudelow, a merchant, ordered the construction of this building at the end of the 19th century.
Between 1908 and 1925, the tenement, then at Bahnhoffstraße 62 was an hotel, Hotel Darheim.The edifice is typical of Eclecticism, as one can encounter in downtown Bydgoszcz. The elevation on Dworcowa is characterised by heavy pediments and large wrought iron balconies supported by corbels. On Matejko street, the facade is less adorned.
Tenement at No.75
1911-1912, by Otto Müller
Richard Hoppe, a preacher, was the first owner of this tenement at then Bahnhoffstraße 31b.
Andrzej Szwalbe, the first director of Pomeranian Philharmonic from 1953 to 1991, lived there. A commemorative plaque was unveiled on June 30, 2003.
Few elements survived time, especially the architectural details. Only the decoration of the gate still displays vegetal forms crowned by a coat of arms containing a lamb of God. The rest of the facade is balanced by two bay windows flanked by loggias, with balconies in the middle of the lot.
Tenement at No.76
1860Eclecticism & Neo-Baroque elements
Joseph Schreiber, a miller, was the first owner of Bahnhoffstraße 61.Particularly noticeable elements are:
A highly decorated gate frame, flanked by columns and crowned by a pediment;
A grand bay window, sheltering a loggia, supported by heavy corbels, surrounded by columns and topped by a small terrace (building).
Albin Cohnfeld tenement, at No.77
1876, by Karl BergnerEclecticism, elements of Neo-baroque
The Cohnfeld family, Gustav, Albin then their heirs, owned the plot at Bahnhoffstraße 32 even before the erection of the present edifice, and kept it till the mid-1910s.The facade, newly refurbished in 2020, has a rich ornamentation typical of the Eclecticism. One can quote, among others, a highly adorned wrought iron balcony and bay window ensemble with sculpted atlants, elaborated ornaments, and a cartouche containing the initials CA for Albin Cohnfeld, commissioner of the building. The entire facade, topped by a table corbel, possess on second and third floors a very rich decoration, with delicate flower and vegetal motifs, in pediments or around the openings. Above the bay window stands an onion dome steeple.
Tenement at No.79, corner with Sobieskiego Street
Initially owned by a restaurateur, Gustav Müller, at its erection, the house at Bahnhoffstraße 33 was then bought by Julius Schliep in 1889 to run a hotel Schliep's Hotel. In 1920, new landlord Leon Ciemniak renamed it Hotel International, then Hotel Metropol (1932), and Hotel Asystenta in the 1970s.
The refurbishing of the 1970s gave to the facade forms of Modern architecture. Anyhow, its general shape reveals its old roots (gables type for instance), in a way similar to one of the old house in Gdańska Street (No.37).
Foreign Language Teacher Training College, at No.80
The building at then Bahnhoffstraße 59 has been designed to house the activity of Franz Bengsch, who ran a wood transport company there till the end of World War I. During the interwar period, the tenement was owned by the Ramme Brothers, who had a workshop in Grunwaldzka street for repairing agricultural machines.
Since 1990, the building houses the Foreign Language Teacher Training College or NKJO (Polish: Nauczycielskie Kolegium Języków Obcych w Bydgoszczy), subordinated to universities of Poznań and Warsaw. A plaque has been placed on the facade in honor of railway engineer Ernest Malinowski (1818-1899), patron of NKJO Spanish section.
The facade has reminiscences of Neo-Renaissance elements, with its bare wall and the overall symmetry of the ensemble.
Elementary school at No.82
Earliest reference of the building at Bahnhoffstraße 58 can be found in the address book of Bromberg in 1869, where it is described as "Bahnhoffstraße Public school", German: Schule der Bahnhoffstraße. It is then renamed "State school for boys and for girls" (German: Stätische knaben und mädchen Schule) in 1876. After World War I, the building kept its educational aims as Public school for boys No.1
Today, the edifice houses the Culture house for Youth No.4 (Polish: Młodzieżowy Dom Kultury nr 4).
The house shows early forms of Eclecticism, with references to German Historicism in the display of bricks chosen in two different colors.
Tenement at No.84
Louis Bollmann, founder in 1898 of a brick factory, was the first owner of the tenement then located at Bahnhoffstraße 57 till the 1910s.
The facade is well balanced, with two balconies on each side, with balustrades and wrought iron details. A very large balcony stands in the middle of the elevation, topped by a full row of balusters on the roof. The gate frame is ornamented with columns and a pediment where stands a large sculpture of a sitting crowned lion, holding a coat of arms with shields.
Hotel Centralny at No.85 - corner with Unii Lubelskiej street
1875-1876, by Gustaw Weihe
F.F.A.H. Brennecke, a railway operation controleur, is the first registered owner of the house at Bahnhoffstraße 37. In 1900, the edifice became the Hotel Victoria and Hotel "Viktoria" in 1920, run by Jan Draheim. It is still a hotel today, "Hotel Centralny".
The architecture of this corner house is typical of the last quarter of the 19th century: a two-storey (plus attic) tenement, with few decoration on the outside, except a frieze running beneath the gable, some shed dormers, and a nicely adorned bay window on the corner. Quite noticeable is the entry in the corner, flanked by two columns.
Heinrich Kirsch tenement, at No.86
1904, by Rudolf Kern
Heinrich Kirsch was the owner of the newly commissioned house to Rudolf Kern at Bahnhoffstraße 56. He lived there until World War I.
At the same time, the architect has been building his own house at Adam Mickiewicz Alley No.1. The building underwent a thorough renovation in 2020.The main elevation, now refurbished, reveals Art Nouveau inclinations: curved shapes of the gable, portals and transom emphasize the Secession inspiration of Rudolf Kern. In addition, the facade strikes by its huge bay window, topped by a balcony.
Tenement at No.87
The tenement at then-Bahnhoffstraße 38, even though conceived as an habitation house at its inception in 1876, soon turned to house a hotel: Heise's Hotel in 1876, Hoffman's Hotel in 1884 then Gelhorn's Hotel from 1887 to 1939, period from which the actual building dates back to.
The facade reflects Neo-Renaissance elements, with its bared wall and minimal window decoration. One can notice the original transom above the vehicle entry, on the left of the elevation.
Tenement at No.88
A restaurateur at then Bahnhoffstraße 55, Emil Geste, sold in 1899 the tenement to Clara and Reinhold Rosente, wine and delicatessen merchands, who owned already the adjoining house at No.54 (corner with Śniadecki Street).The facade reflectsnicely Neo-Renaissance style: symmetry of the ensemble (balconies disposition, gates locations), specific decoration of openings per level (pediments with Acanthus or bare). It incorporates somehow Neo-Baroque elements, for instance in the wrought iron balustrade of balconies, or the top curved gable. Worth noticeable is the door gate, delicately adorned, as well as the Hermes figure overlooking the entry.
Tenement at No.89, corner with Zygmunt August Street
Friedrich Kalau, mail office director, was the first landlord of house at then Bahnhoffstraße 39. The year after, the building became a hotel,
Hotel du Nord. Its name changes several times, "Riller's Hotel" in 1875 and "Gelhorn's Hotel" in 1898 run by Anna and Max Scheidling, then by Johannes Bohlmann from the 1910s till World War II.
The facade mirrors neighbouring one at No.87, but for its larger middle balustrade and the position of the entry gate.
Hotel Brda at No.94
1854 & 1972
Before the Brda hotel (1972), several other hotel have been standing there: Heise’s Hotel (1889), Hotel zur Neue Stadt (1891) and Hotel Nowe Miasto (1920-1922).
Tenement at No.98
The tenement at Bahnhoffstraße 50 was owned by Albin Cohnfeld, a rentier, who lived at Dworcowa Street No.77. He also owned the adjoining house at No.100. Between 1894 and 1937, a Post Office (German: ßostamt) has been standing there.The facade has a rich decoration, including:
On the ground floor, bossages and mascarons above each window;
On the second floor, a wrought iron balcony.On both levels, opening are topped by pediments. Most remarkable is the delicate bay window prolonged by a loggia with columns on the second floor, capped by a Tented roof steeple.
Tenement at No.100, corner with Sobieskiego street
1870, rebuilt in 1885, by Józef Święcicki and Anton HoffmannEclecticism
House at then Bahnhoffstraße 49, together with the one at Bahnhoffstraße 50 (Dworcowa No.98), have been owned since the 1870s by Albin Cohnfeld, a rentier, who lived at Dworcowa Street No.77. From 1877 to 1886, the building housed an hotel, Hotel St. Petersburg, run by Louis Jacobowski between 1877 and 1886. From 1913 to 1918, the tenement housed an auxiliary boy school (German: Hilfschule), subsidiary to the "Johannischule" located at 20 Świętojańska street.The eclectic styled facade has lost almost all of its features with time. Few pediments on second floor windows and a wrought iron entry grille are left.
Main train Station
1851, 1968, 2015
Oldest and largest railway station in Bydgoszcz, it has undergone a major rebuilding which ended in December 2015.