Frýdlant nad Ostravicí (Czech pronunciation: [ˈfriːdlant ˈnat ostravɪtsiː]; German: Friedland (an der Ostrawitza); Latin: Vriedlant) is a town in the Moravian-Silesian Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 10,000 inhabitants. It lies on the Ostravice River at the foot of Lysá hora, the highest mountain of the Moravian-Silesian Beskids. In the past it was an important ironworks center. Today it is mainly a holiday resort.
The town historically belonged to Moravia, but two Silesian villages were merged within its municipal borders and are its administrative parts: Lubno and Nová Ves.
The first written record dates to 1395. The town was founded in the 2nd half of 14th century during German Ostsiedlung. For most of its history Frýdlant nad Ostravicí belonged to the Hukvaldy manor of the Olomouc Archdiocese. Until the first half of the 17th century the inhabitants were mainly farmers and lumberjacks. In 1618–1620 the first iron-mills and smelters were built, using easily accessible deposites of pelosiderite and plenty of firewood from the nearby mountains. The coat of arms which depicts a blacksmith with a smelter behind him comes from those times.
Following the discovery of rich hard coal deposits in Ostrava in 1763 the importance of Frýdlant's ironworks declined, they later specialized in production of cast iron and later enamel ware. In 1871 the town was connected with the Ostrava region by a railroad (which continued further to the heart of the Moravian-Silesian Beskids).
Today Frýdlant nad Ostavicí is an important holiday resort. There are many sport facilities in the town and its surroundings, especially plenty of tennis courts and a new sports centre named Kotelna. There is also a small air-strip offering flightviews. Ondřejník Mountain has a ridge soaring facility. Skiers can enjoy a few slopes in the nearby villages. The town also served as a starting point for hiking in the Moravian-Silesian Beskids which start to rise literally on the town border.
Two gymnasiums are located in Frýdlant. The first one is Gymnasium of Frýdlant (renamed from Gymnasium of T.G.M.) and the second is Beskydy Mountain Academy with language specialization such as English, Spanish, German, Latin, Russian and French.
Dominik Trčka (1886–1959), Catholic priest and martyr
Ferdiš Duša (1888–1958), artist
Petr Faldyna (born 1976), footballer