German submarine U-828 was a Type VIIC/41 U-boat of Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine during the Second World War. She saw no combat and was scuttled at the end of the war.
U-828 was ordered on 8 June 1942 and laid down on 7 August 1943 at Schichau-Werke, Danzig, West Prussia. She was launched on 16 March 1944 and commissioned on June 17 with Oberleutnant zur See Alfred John in command. John remained in command for the remainder of the war. The U-boat saw no action and was scuttled on 3 May 1945 west of Wesermünde, near Bremerhaven in position 53°32′N 8°35′E.
Like all Type VIIC/41 U-boats, U-828 had a displacement of 759 tonnes (747 long tons) when at the surface and 860 tonnes (850 long tons) while submerged. She had a total length of 67.10 m (220 ft 2 in), a pressure hull length of 50.50 m (165 ft 8 in), a beam length of 6.20 m (20 ft 4 in), and a draught length of 4.74 m (15 ft 7 in). The submarine was powered by two Germaniawerft F46 supercharged six-cylinder four-stroke diesel engines producing a total of 2,800 to 3,200 metric horsepower (2,060 to 2,350 kW; 2,760 to 3,160 shp) and two BBC GG UB 720/8 double-acting electric motors producing a total of 750 metric horsepower (550 kW; 740 shp) for use while submerged. The boat was capable of operating at a depth of 250 metres (820 ft).The submarine had a maximum surface speed of 17.7 knots (32.8 km/h; 20.4 mph) and a submerged speed of 7.6 knots (14.1 km/h; 8.7 mph). When submerged, the boat could operate for 80 nautical miles (150 km; 92 mi) at 4 knots (7.4 km/h; 4.6 mph); when surfaced, she could travel 8,500 nautical miles (15,700 km; 9,800 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph). U-828 was fitted with five 53.3 cm (21 in) torpedo tubes (four fitted at the bow and one at the stern), fourteen torpedoes, one 8.8 cm (3.46 in) SK C/35 naval gun, (220 rounds), one 3.7 cm (1.5 in) Flak M42 and two 2 cm (0.79 in) C/30 anti-aircraft guns. Her complement was between forty-four and sixty.