The area of Hol was separated from the municipality Ål in 1877 to become a separate municipality. In 1937 a part of neighboring Uvdal with 220 inhabitants moved to Hol municipality. The area was transferred from Uvdal to Hol in 1944. Uvdal was reunited with Nore to form the new municipality of Nore og Uvdal.
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Hol farm (Old Norse: Hóll), since the first church was built here. The name is identical with the word hóll, which means "round (and isolated) hill".
Hol is bordered to the north by Lærdal, to the north and east by Ål, to the south by Nore og Uvdal, and to the west by Eidfjord, Ulvik and Aurland. Hol is a mountainous area, where over 90% of the area is at an altitude exceeding 900 meters above sea level. The Hallingskarvet mountain range is the highest point in the municipality, at 1933 meters above sea level. The Usta or Usteåne River flows northeast from Lake Ustevatn traveling down the Ustedalen valley. The Hallingdalselva River is formed by the confluence of the Usta River and the Holselva River from Lake Strandavatnet.
Ustevatn - in the municipality of Hol
Nygardsvatnet - in the municipality of Hol
Strandavatnet - in the municipality of Hol
Ørteren - in the municipality of Hol
Nyhellervatnet - on the border between Hol and Aurland, Sogn og Fjordane county
Pålsbufjorden - in the municipalities of Hol and Nore og Uvdal
Øvre Hein - in the municipalities of Hol and Nore og Uvdal
Djupsvatnet - in the municipalities of Hol and Ål
Flakavatnet - in the municipalities of Hol and Ulvik, Hordaland county
The coat-of-arms of Hol is from modern times; the arms were granted on 5 July 1991. They show three silver anvils on a blue background and were designed by Trond Andersson. The three anvils are stacked one above the other, with the top one being largest and the bottom one smallest. The anvil was chosen to symbolize the former smithies in the municipality, which were famous for the production of axes, blades, and knives. Iron mining was already practiced in the area in the Viking Age.
(See also coat-of-arms of Trøgstad)
Hol Old Church
Hol Old Church (Hol gamle kirke) is presumed to date from the 13th century, but the exact dating is unknown. The church is the oldest parish in Hol and is first mentioned in a letter from 1328 as a small stave church with covered side porches (svalganger). The church has been expanded several times, in the 16th century, in 1697 and in 1798-99. It was rebuilt in 1888 and 1938. It is believed that the floor of the church was made using columns from the old stave church. The pulpit and baptismal font are from the Renaissance period (1697) and the altarpiece from 1703. The pulpit is placed above the altar.
Pål Olson Grøt (1813–1906) a Rosemåling painter
Olav Sletto (1886–1963) a novelist and educator
Knut Bry (born 1946 in Hovet) a fine-art photographer and film director
Terje Isungset (born 1964) a musician, a percussionist and composer
Margit Hvammen (1932 in Geilo – 2010) an alpine skier.
Aud Hvammen (born 1943 in Geilo) an alpine skier
Anne Brusletto (born 1951 in Geilo) an alpine skier
Martin Hole (born 1959) former cross country runner
Ådne Søndrål (born 1971) a former speed skater and gold medallist at the 1998 Winter Olympics
Håvard Bøkko (born 1987 in Hovet) speed skater
Roger S. Kleivdal (born 1988) snowboarder
Christoffer Fagerli Rukke (born 1988) speed skater
Hege Bøkko (born 1991 in Hovet) speed skater
Vetle Sjåstad Christiansen (born 1992 in Geilo) a biathlete.
Tiril Sjåstad Christiansen (born 1995 in Geilo) a freestyle skier