Kroměříž ([ˈkromɲɛr̝iːʃ] (listen); German: Kremsier, Polish: Kromieryż) is a town in the Zlín Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 29,000 inhabitants.
In the Middle Ages, there was a ford across the Morava and the crossroads of the Amber and Salt Roads (which was the actual continuation of the famous Silk Road). The first written record of Kromeříž dates back to 1110. On the Arab map, known as Tabula Rogeriana, the town is referred to as Agra.The settlement, inhabited by Slavs since at least the 7th century, was founded in 1260 by Bruno von Schauenburg, bishop of Olomouc. Bruno chose Kroměříž to become his see and he also made his castle the centre of his dominion, which consisted of more than 60 vassals from all over Moravia. Kroměříž is referred to as a market village in a document by Ottokar II of Bohemia from 1256, but by 1266 it was already referred to as a town. Bruno established what was to become the famous Archbishop's Palace. The town was badly damaged in the Thirty Years' War, was plundered twice by Swedish troops (1643 and 1645), and after this the Black Death took its toll on the population. Bishop Karl II von Liechtenstein-Kastelkorn rebuilt the town and the palace after that war. The Constitutive Imperial Congress sat in Kroměříž in 1848. In August 1885 a meeting took place here between the Austrian and the Russian emperors.
On the outskirts of the town there is the Agricultural Research Institute Kroměříž (formerly the Research Institute of Grain, etc., founded in 1951), which is engaged in research and breeding of cereals.
The town's main landmark is the Baroque Kroměříž Castle. The polygonal tower of the castle is the main landmark as well as the oldest remnant of the old Bishop's Castle. The Gardens and Castle at Kroměříž were added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1998. In Kroměříž Castle were filmed some scenes from Amadeus and Immortal Beloved.
The Castles's Gallery has the second most significant collection of paintings in the Czech Republic and is home to The Flaying of Marsyas, a late painting by Titian.The town has two museums, Museum of Kroměříž Region and Karel Kryl's exposition.
The town has traditionally held an international festival of military brass music and the international festival of sacred music FORFEST.
The town football club, SK Hanácká Slavia Kroměříž, plays in the Moravian-Silesian Football League, the third division of football in the Czech Republic.