Libníč is a village and municipality (obec) in České Budějovice District in the South Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. The municipality covers an area of 6.85 square kilometres (2.64 sq mi), and has a population of 399 (as of 2007). Libníč lies approximately 8 kilometres (5 mi) north-east of České Budějovice and 119 km (74 mi) south of Prague.
History and present
The very first known written reference to the village (in villa Lybnycze) comes from 1394. Silver was mined in several local adits between 1571 and 1801, but after the mining peak at the end of the 16th century it slowly declined. A spa was built and run here since the 17th century thanks to the local resource of water containing sulphur and iron, and continued for 200 years until the spring died out. The village became independent in 1850, which it has been since with the exception of 1943 - 1945 and 1976–1990, when it belonged under Hůry and Rudolfov respectively.
It is possible to get to the village by car after turning off the four-lane E49 road, and there is also bus service. A cycle route leading from Hluboká nad Vltavou to Lišov runs through the Libníč, there is a volunteer fire department and a sport club SK Libníč. Libníč organizes a village fair, Libníčské slavnosti, on the village green on the last August Sunday.
A Photovoltaic power station was opened in the north of the village in 2010.
Places of interest
Holy Trinity rectory church the heart of which is an octagonal Baroque chapel from 1714 - 1715 designed by Pavel Ignác Bayer, was extended with a presbytery and a tower in the latter half of the 18th century. The rectory, established in 1855, includes also Červený Újezdec, Hůry, Jelmo and Úsilné.
Building of the former spa from 1714 1720, work of the same architect, these days used as a retirement home
Several villas from the latter 19th century, for example JUDr. August Zátka's villa with a park
Natural monument Libnič, a small area (0.08 ha) where Cypripedium calceolus can still be found, is located about one kilometer east of Libníč
Wayside shrine in the south of the village
Saint John Nepomuk statue
Cross in the village green under the tileas, two wayside crosses - one dated 1856 east of the village and the other at the road leading towards the village of Jelmo
Houses with features of the selské baroko style, e.g. houses Nos 42 and 44
Walking trail Mojský les (Mojský Wood) in the north-east leading towards the village of Borek