Maharam's Synagogue

Add to Bucket ListAdded!

Quick Summary

Location
51°15'11"N
022°34'12"E
Country
 Poland
Categories
  • Sacral
Rating
Take me there!

Description

Maharam's Synagogue was a synagogue in Lublin, Poland, which was located on a no-longer-existing Jateczna 3 Street. The synagogue was a part of synagogical complex in Podzamcze.

History

Maharam's Synagogue was built near the end of the 16th or in the beginning of the 17th century, as a building clinging to the southern wall of Maharshal's Synagogue. The synagogue was named in honour of Lublin's rector and rabbi, Meir Lublin, who was also referred to as Maharam. The synagogue was purposed for officiating shabbat. The two synagogues could seat 3000 prayers combined. It is likely that sessions of the Council of Four Lands took place within the synagogue. During Cossack-Muscovite invasion on Lublin in 1655, the aggressors burnt the building down although it was quickly rebuilt. During the subsequent years the building was neglected and not renovated and in 1854, after the night of Yom Kippur, the ceiling gave away. In 1866, a long renovation was finally completed. Of the old building, only the outline of the external wall is left. During the interwar period due to bad technical condition, an extensive recondition was planned, however, the Second World War broke those plans. During the war, Nazi administration ordered to close the synagogue for worship purposes. Inside, existed a shelter for the poor, refugees, displaced persons. After the disposal of Lublin Ghetto, the synagogue with whole synagogical complex was blown up. After the war, for a few years the ruins of the building weren't touched. In 1954, on order of the city's administration, they were dismantled because of building a new street, Aleja Tysiąclecia. There's a granite memorial, on which is written an expression in Polish, Yiddish and Hebrew languages. In 2007, on initiative of Ośrodek Brama Gordzka-Teatr NN, a 3D model of Maharshal's and Maharam's Synagogues was created, after six months of work by Krzysztof Mucha.

Architecture

The brick building was erected on the plan of elongated square in west–east direction in renaissance style. For the entry, one had to use staircase located in the Maharshal's Synagogue. There is no information on the plan of the building prior to the 1656 fire, besides the outlines on the city plans from: 1783, circa 1800, 1823 and 1829. The outline from 1823 is similar to the 1920 drawing. Until today, at least a dozen photographs, drawing and plans from the interwar period remained, thanks to which both internal and external views of the synagogue are known. The building was fragmented on two long, narrow and preceded by a vestibule, rooms: a main room for prayers, clinged to the prayers' room in Maharshal's Synagogue and a women's zone from the external side. Both of the rooms had a wooden ceiling. On the middle of the main room for prayers, a short, 8-sided, 2-entry and surrounded by banister, the bimah. On the Eastern wall, an ark was located, with Decalogue's memorials and covered by a parochet with the Star of David embroidered. Besides, on this wall, a polychrome was painted as well as an unidentified picture.
This dGuide uses material from the Wikipedia,
released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

Rating

Overall Rating
Please comment your rating:

Please log in to rate this dGuide!