Moravské Budějovice (Czech: [ˈmorafskɛː ˈbuɟɛjovɪtsɛ]; German: Mährisch Budwitz) is a town in Třebíč District in the Vysočina Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 7,300 inhabitants. It lies by the European route E59 between Jihlava (45 km to the north) and Znojmo (30 km to the south).
Villages Jackov, Lažínky, Vesce and Vranín are administrative parts of Moravské Budějovice.
Moravské Budějovice was probably founded in the 12th century, however the first written mention of Budějovice is from 1231. In 1406 the name of Moravské (Moravian) Budějovice was used for the first time, to distinguish it from České Budějovice in Bohemia. It gained town rights in 1498.Until 1918, Moravské Budějovice (as Mährisch Budwitz) was part of the Austrian monarchy (Austria side after the compromise of 1867), in the district with the same name, one of the 34 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in Moravia.
Ralph Benatzky (1884–1957), Austrian composer
Miroslav Venhoda (1915–1987), choir conductor
Twin towns – sister cities
Moravské Budějovice is twinned with:
Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, Poland