Naranjito barrio-pueblo is a barrio and the administrative center (seat) of Naranjito, a municipality of Puerto Rico. Its population in 2010 was 1,157.As was customary in Spain, in Puerto Rico, the municipality has a barrio called pueblo which contains a central plaza, the municipal buildings (city hall), and a Catholic church. Fiestas patronales (patron saint festivals) are held in the central plaza every year.
Puerto Rico was ceded by Spain in the aftermath of the Spanish–American War under the terms of the Treaty of Paris of 1898 and became an unincorporated territory of the United States. In 1899, the United States conducted its first census of Puerto Rico finding that the population of Naranjito Pueblo was 614.
The central plaza history
The central plaza, or square, is a place for official and unofficial recreational events and a place where people can gather and socialize from dusk to dawn. The Laws of the Indies, Spanish law, which regulated life in Puerto Rico in the early 19th century, stated the plaza's purpose was for "the parties" (celebrations, festivities) (Spanish: a propósito para las fiestas), and that the square should be proportionally large enough for the number of neighbors (Spanish: grandeza proporcionada al
número de vecinos). These Spanish regulations also stated that the streets nearby should be comfortable portals for passersby, protecting them from the elements: sun and rain.
Barrios (which are roughly comparable to minor civil divisions) in turn are further subdivided into smaller local populated place areas/units called sectores (sectors in English). The types of sectores may vary, from normally sector to urbanización to reparto to barriada to residencial, among others.The following sectors are in Naranjito barrio-pueblo:Barriada La Marina, Barriada Monte Verde, Barriada San Antonio, Barriada San Cristóbal, Barriada San Miguel, Calle Georgetti, Calle Ignacio Morales Acosta, Calle Pedro Cid, Calle Víctor J. Mojica, and Sector Acueducto.