New York Central Railroad Tugboat 13 is a railroad tugboat built in 1887 in Camden, New Jersey by John H. Dialogue and Son. The tugboat was built for the New York Central Railroad to push barges, called car floats, carrying railroad cars and other freight across the waterways of New York Harbor.
It originally had a steam engine of 232 horsepower (173 kW), replaced with two General Motors 6-110 diesel engines in the 1950s. The engines sit back-to-back and drive a central Falk gearbox, which turns the single propeller.
The hull is riveted and made of wrought iron.
After 2002, it underwent extensive renovation at Garpo Marine in Tottenville, Staten Island. Two new keel coolers from Fernstrum were installed in a recessed box in the hull to cool the engines.
Efforts to restore the ship seemingly failed in the intervening years, and she was scrapped in 2017 in Tottenville.
Other vessels built by John H. Dialogue and Son
Hercules (1907) at the San Francisco Maritime Museum, hull number 204801.
Susan Elizabeth (1886) launched as C. C. Clark and briefly served as New York Central No. 3. This boat was broken up in the fall of 2008 in the same yard in Tottenville, Staten Island, New York where Tugboat 13 was being restored.
Elise Anne Connors (1881)