Opočno (Czech pronunciation: [ˈopotʃno]; German: Opotschno) is a town in Rychnov nad Kněžnou District in the Hradec Králové Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 3,100 inhabitants. Opočno is known for the Opočno Castle, one of the most magnificent examples of Renaissance architecture in Bohemia. The town centre with the castle is well preserved and is protected by law as an urban monument zone.
Villages of Čánka and Dobříkovec are administrative parts of Opočno.
Opočno was first mentioned in 1068 by Cosmas of Prague in his Chronica Boemorum, when there was a gord. In the early 14th century, Opočno was acquired by the Drslavicové family, who had a Gothic castle built here, and a small town began to arise next to it.In 1495, the Bohemian noble family of Trčka z Lípy became owner of Opočno. During their rule Opočno enjoyed a period of a significant economic growth, and the castle was rebuilt. After the extinction of the Trčka family Opočno was acquired by the Colloredo family. In 1673 a Capuchin monastery was founded in Opočno.In the 19th century, further development occurred. The district court and a hospital were established. The industrialization began with establishment of factories producing farm machinery and dairy products. This led to growth of the population.During World War II, in 1942, the property of Colloredo-Mandsfeld family including the castle in Opočno was confiscated by the Nazis. Until today the restitution claims of the Colloredo-Mansfeld family in Opočno are not definitively solved.
The main sight is Opočno Castle. In 1560–1569, it was rebuilt in the Renaissance style, and after a fire in the late 17th century, Baroque modifications were made. Its part is an English park with an area of 19.5 hectares (48 acres). In the castle park there is the French-style castle summer house from 1602.In Opočno there are three churches. The parish Church of the Holy Trinity is located in the castle complex and is originally from the early 14th century. The Church of the Nativity of Jesus was originally a convent church of the Capuchin monastery. The monastery complex with the church is a unique complex of early Baroque buildings. The third church is the Church of the Virgin Mary in the old cemetery. The old church from the 17th centurx was rebuilt in 1810 to its current appearance. It now serves as a concert hall.The historic centre of Opočno is formed by squares Kupkovo and Trčkovo with adjacent streets, and by the castle complex. On Trčkovo Square, there are valuable Renaissance and Baroque burgher houses.
František Zdeněk Skuherský (1830–1892), composer
František Kupka (1871–1957), painter
Luboš Sluka (born 1928), composer
Ivo Ulich (born 1974), footballer
Jaroslav Plašil (born 1982), footballer
Taťána Kuchařová (born 1987), model, Miss World 2006
Twin towns – sister cities
Opočno is twinned with: