Podkowa Leśna [pɔtˈkɔva ˈlɛɕna] (literal meaning - "Horseshoe Grove", in full: Miasto-ogród Podkowa Leśna - "Garden-City Podkowa Leśna") is a town in Grodzisk Mazowiecki County, Masovian Voivodeship of Poland and located within the territory of the Młochowskie Forests. Town status - since 1 January 1969. The town also has the status of gmina, meaning "commune". Population - ca. 4000. Founded in 1925. On 1 September 1939 bombs fell on Podkowa Leśna that the Luftwaffe had intended for Warsaw. On 17 January 1945 the Soviets entered Podkowa Leśna.
Located in a beautiful setting not far from Warsaw, the town has an interesting collection of villas dating back to the interwar period, along with newly built mansions. Forests surround the city on three sides from the east, south, and north).
The town was designed in 1925 by Anthony Jawornicki and is based on the principles of the Garden city movement. Its growth was aided by the construction of the Warsaw Commuter Railway in 1927 which has 3 stations located in the town. Due to the town being served by this light railway line, it is easily accessed from central Warsaw.