Rýmařov (Czech pronunciation: [ˈriːmar̝of]; German: Römerstadt) is a town in the Bruntál District in the Moravian-Silesian Region of the Czech Republic. It has around 8,200 inhabitants.
Villages of Edrovice, Harrachov, Jamartice, Janovice, Ondřejov and Stránské are administrative parts of Rýmařov.
Until 1918, Römerstadt was part of the Austrian monarchy (Austria side after the compromise of 1867), head of the district of the same name, one of the 34 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in Moravia.
The post-office was opened in June 1850, succeeding to that of Janowitz.In December 1930, the town had 6,108 inhabitants.
In 1938, it was occupied by the Nazi army as one of the municipalities in Sudetenland.
On May 17, 1939, there were 5,859 inhabitants. About 98% of the town's population were German-speaking. However, in execution of the Beneš decrees, the entire German population, with the exception of a few skilled workers, was forcibly deported to Germany and Austria. Accordingly, on the morning of August 5, 1945, citizens of the town were ordered to be ready for deportation by noon. On May 22, 1947 there were 4,230 inhabitants again. Today the town, renamed Rýmařov, is overwhelmingly Czech-speaking.
Chapel of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, also known as the chapel in Linden (Lipkach), is a very important Barroque building designed by architect Friedrich Höslera and erected between 1713 and 1715. It contains frescoes by the famous masters Ferdinand Naboth and Johann Christoph Handke, Olomouc painter native of Janovice. In the foreground of the chapel is the statue of Our Lady of Victory from 1774 and a folk sculpture of the crucifixion from 1812.
Town Hall is the most architectural structure of the town with elements of Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Classical style. It dates from the early 15th century, being now a protected archaeological site. A big blow for the town was a terrible Easter fire occurred in 1790, when part of the structure and the tower collapsed. Several years of restoration works, which ended in 1818, gave the town hall its present classical appearance. The last renovation work took place between 1991 and 1994.
Above the entrance there is a coat of arms from 1844, however by mistake it was incorrectly flipped, being that the "jumping wolf" should aim at the opposite direction. The heraldic emblem is bound with the legend of this evil wolf.
On the western part of the main square it is also worth noting the Plague Column from 1683 with the sculpture of the Virgin Mary by Francis Leblose of Olomouc with the coat of arms of Ditrichštejn and Hoffmannof Grunbuchl. It was erected at the expense of Maria Elisabeth Richtenstein in memory of the plague epidemic that struck Rýmařov in the 1680s. The statue underwent restoration in 1993.
Church of St. Michael is a Roman Catholic parish Renaissance structure with a three-piece construction with an older late Gothic core from the years 1351-1360. The interior of the church is decorated with paintings of Johann Christoph Handke.
Parsonage is a valuable Renaissance building from the 16th century, before the top office.
Statue of Virgin Mary Immaculate, which originally stood in a park by a crumbling castle in Janovice and was moved to Rýmařov at its present site in 2010, is located in the vicinity of the parish.
Calvary is located on the left side of the road from the Rýmařov to Bruntál.
Statue of St. John of Nepomuk is a 1736 sandstone sculptural work by Severin Tischler.
Municipal Museum is an institution with rich collections tracing the history of the region from the earliest prehistoric settlements to the first half of the 20th century. It was founded in 1901 by a local businessman and representative named Wilhelm Ludwig. The place offers a number of exhibitions on the development of metal mining, and textile industry.
The museum also worked as a fortified administrative center and the town's castle between the 13th and 15th centuries, gold smelter between the 13th and 14th centuries, the seat of the royal reeve during the second half of the 14th century, meat market in the 15th century, and pottery for goods painted in white between the 16th and 17th centuries. Its permanent exhibition is rich in geological mapping in the field of rock composition of southern Jeseník, also operating the Octopus Gallery.
Museum of Touristic Marks lies in the local area of Janovice. Freely accessible exposition, following the newly formed La Skála Amphitheater.