Rawa Voivodeship

Add to Bucket ListAdded!

Quick Summary

Location
51°45'55"N
020°15'17"E
Country
 Poland
Categories
  • Uncathegorised
Rating
Take me there!

Description

Rawa Voivodeship (Polish: Województwo Rawskie) was a unit of administrative division and local government in the Kingdom of Poland since 15th century until the partitions of Poland in 1795. It was part of the Province of Greater Poland. Together with the Plock and Masovian Voivodeships it formed the former Duchy of Masovia. The voivodeship had its capital in the town of Rawa Mazowiecka, and its origins date back to the second half of the 15th century. In 1462, after the deaths of local Piast dynasty dukes, Mazovian lands of Rawa and Gostynin were incorporated into the Crown of the Kingdom of Poland. In 1476, the Land of Sochaczew returned to Poland as well. Borders of Rawa Voivodeship remained unchanged for more than 300 years, until the second partition of Poland in 1793, when it was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia. Rawa Voivodeship had four senators in the Senate of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. These were the Voivode of Rawa, the Castellan of Rawa, and the castellans of Sochaczew and Gostynin. Local starostas resided in Rawa, Sochaczew and Gostynin. Zygmunt Gloger in his monumental book Historical Geography of the Lands of Old Poland provides this description of Rawa Voivodeship: “In the 15th century, the Duchy of Mazovia, ruled by local branch of the Piast dynasty, was divided into three parts, one of which was the Duchy of Rawa (...) On January 1, 1462, Siemowit VI died at the age of eighteen. A few weeks later, his teenage brother Wladyslaw II also died. Siemowit VI was the Duke of Plock and Rawa, and after his death, King Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk decided to incorporate the Duchy of Rawa, making it the first part of Mazovia that returned to Poland (...) Rawa Voivodeship had the area of 92 sq. miles. It was divided into three lands: those of Rawa, Sochaczew and Gostynin. Each land was divided into two counties. The lands were of roughly the same size, and in the mid-16th century, whole voivodeship had 100 Roman Catholic parishes and 15 towns (...) Sejmiks took place at Rawa, Sochaczew and Gąbin, during which two deputies to the Sejm, and two deputies to the Greater Poland Tribunal were elected (...) Rawa Voivodeship shared its coat of arms with Plock Voivodeship”.

Municipal government

Voivodeship Governor (Wojewoda) seat: Rawa Mazowiecka

Administrative division

Rawa Land (ziemia rawska, Rawa), Rawa County Biała Rawska County, Gostynin Land (ziemia gostynińska, Gostynin), Gostynin County Gąbin County, Sochaczew Land (ziema sochaczewska, Sochaczew), Sochaczew County Mszczonów County.

Voivodes

Mikołaj z Kutna 1465-1467 Jan Grot z Nowego Miasta 1468-1489 Andrzej Szczubioł 1489-1493 Jakub Buczacki 1493-1496 Andrzej Kucieński 1496-1504 Piotr Prędota z Trzciany 1504-1518 Jakub Gostomski 1518-1519 Andrzej Kucieński 1519-1529 Stanisław Kucieński 1529-1542 Andrzej Sierpski 1542-? Anzelm Gostomski 1572-1588 Stanisław Gostomski 1588-? Wojciech Wilkanowski ? Piotr Myszkowski 1597-1601 Zygmunt Grudziński 1601-1618 Stanisław Radziejowski 1618-1627 Filip Wołucki 1627-1642 Krzysztof Marcin Sułowski 1642-1644 Andrzej Grudziński 1644-1650 Łukasz Opaliński 1653-1654 Aleksander Koryciński 1659-? Jan Wojciech Lipski 1676 Hieronim Olszowski 1676 Aleksander Załuski 1676-1692 Aleksander Józef Załuski 1693-1720 Andrzej Głębocki 1720-1735 Stanisław Wincenty Jabłonowski 1735-1754 Stanisław Świdziński 1754-1757 Kazimierz Granowski 1757-1774 Bazyli Walicki 1774-1789
This dGuide uses material from the Wikipedia,
released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

Rating

Overall Rating
Please comment your rating:

Please log in to rate this dGuide!