Sainte-Marie-de-Ré is a commune in the Charente-Maritime department in southwestern France.
Sainte-Marie-de-Ré is a small village, on the southern coast of the Île de Ré, facing the Île d'Oléron.
The coastal part is bordered by beaches and small cliffs.
Sainte-Marie (as a word) was first used as a designation for a Parish Church in the late 12th century. The village centered on grape farming for over a millennium and maintains a strong rural identity. The commune was officially begun in 1790.
Inhabitants of Sainte-Marie-de-Ré: Maritais.
Inhabitants of La Noue: Nouais.
Agriculture: grape vineyards, asparagus, potatoes.
Thalassotherapy: The thalassotherapy center on the waterfront of the south-eastern edge of Sainte-Marie was expanded in 2004.
Computer information technology.
The Parish church, Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption at Sainte-Marie de Ré whose existence was first recorded in the late 12th century. In 1467 the church was fortified and a moat surrounding the church was dug.
The Saint Sauveur Chapel at La Noue.
A Monument to the Dead.
A monument by sculptor Mélanie Quentin called "La Connaissance" which was installed in 2006.
The Magayant house, a fishing museum.