The Shire of Tallangatta was a local government area about 340 kilometres (211 mi) northeast of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 4,090.72 square kilometres (1,579.4 sq mi), and existed from 1869 until 1994.
Tallangatta was first incorporated as the Towong Road District on 12 March 1869, and became the Shire of Towong on 1 May 1874. In October 1920, the Corryong Riding and part of the Murray Riding split away to form the Shire of Upper Murray. On 8 March 1874, the shire was renamed Tallangatta.On 18 November 1994, the Shire was abolished, and merged with the Shire of Upper Murray into the Shire of Towong—hence restoring the original pre-1920 entity.
Tallangatta was divided into three ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
Mitta Mitta Riding