Sidlow is a mainly rural, lightly populated village in the parish of Salfords and Sidlow, in the south of the borough of Reigate and Banstead in Surrey, England.
Sidlow has a Church of England church: Emmanuel, Sidlow Bridge dating to 1861 (designed by architect Henry Clutton) which is in the medieval-founded Diocese of Southwark and a listed building pub, the Three Horseshoes Inn. Other than residential, goods distribution, timber-related industry and agricultural uses, the village has the Sidlow Bridge Centre, a pupil referral unit one of several such units which takes its admissions from schools of Surrey County Council and those independent of the local authority.
Geography and sublocalities
Sidlow is the west of the civil parish; a high proportion of its land is taken up by farms; no motorways or railways bisect this part of the parish instead the area has three small tributaries' end points (confluences) into the upper River Mole. Urban to suburban development is residential and concentred into a linear settlement along a lane west of a road junction with the north-south A217 road which has the Anglican church opposite. Beyond this the road forms a crescent which briefly becomes urban again at the Ironsbottom neighbourhood, a sub-settlement. Two lines of further development are towards the crescent return of the lane named Ironsbottom at Wrays and south along the A217 at Crutchfield. The A217 direct, traffic light-controlled route between the economic centres of Reigate and Gatwick Airport is bypassed for long-distance traffic by the M23 motorway 3 miles (4.8 km) east. Less than 5% of the land of Sidlow is at flood risk, in built terms, restricted to homes opposite the church of Sidlow Bridge and the church itself.