Smržovka (German: Morchenstern) is a town in Jablonec nad Nisou District in the Liberec Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 3,800 inhabitants.
The name Smržovka was given to town by overgrown mountain forest, where there was a large amount of morels (Czech: Smrž, German: Morcheln).
Smržovka was founded in the first half of the 16th century during the colonization of the Jizera Mountains, the first written mention of the village is from 1568.In the 19th century, glassmaking developed in the town, which helped the rapid growth of the town. In 1868, Smržovka was promoted to a market town, and in 1905, it became a town.Smržovka was part of the Jablonec nad Nisou District, one of the 94 districts in Kingdom of Bohemia. With the development of industry in and around Smržovka, it develops mainly glassworks, grinding shops and weaving and Smržovka in 1849 became the market place. In 1905 Smržovka was promoted to town.
During the German occupation of Czechoslovakia in February and March 1945, the Germans operated a subcamp of the Gross-Rosen concentration camp, whose prisoners were 300 women.
In 1991, the Kaipan company, a Czech car manufacturer with a focus on sports roadsters, was founded here.
Koleje Dolnośląskie D21 line runs from Szklarska Poręba to Liberec via the town.
Twin towns – sister cities
Smržovka is twinned with:
Smržovka also cooperates with:
Juchnowiec Kościelny, Poland
Unsere Liebe Frau im Walde-St. Felix, Italy