Stříbrná Skalice (German: Silberskalitz) is a municipality and village in Prague-East District in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 1,400 inhabitants.
Stříbrná Skalice lies near the Sázava River, 19 kilometres (12 mi) south-east from town Říčany. The highest point of the municipality is a peak Skalka at an elevation of 516 metres (1,693 ft). There are several ponds, including the Hruškov and Propast ponds.
The first written mention of the village is from 1361. The exact date Stříbrná Skalice was founded remains unknown although the first recorded owners were allegedly "Ctibor of Skalice (1360–62), followed by Střížek of Skalice (1376), Kuneš of Skalice (1377), Jesek of Skalice (1384–92), Jan of Střímelice (1393) and Bohdal of Drahenice and Skalice (1402–03). In 1403, Skalice passed over to King Wenceslaus IV whose bourgeoisie was on the rocky castle of Racek Kobyla."According to the oldest chronicles local castle has been already built in 8th century in the times of Přemysl the Ploughman. At the end of 12th century, the Church of St. James the Greater (Stříbrná Skalice) was constructed. It is a Romanic church dedicated to the patron of miners St. Jacob and located in the Rovná area.In 1403, the town was razed by Sigismund of Luxembourg. Having been evacuated beforehand, only an elderly woman and a pig were reportedly left in the village.
The municipality is connected with the silver mining that took place in surrounding areas in 15th and 16th century. The long mining history reflects the villages's old name Skalice hor stříbrných ("The Rock of Silver Mountains") and its current name (meaning "Silver Rock").The Skalice mines were closest to Prague and gave impulse to the construction of a Prague mint during the reign of Ferdinand I (1526–1564). This event has become an important moment in the history of Skalice as a mining town. The oldest silver sealer from 1610 is stored in the Kolín State Archive in a silver case.
In the 18th century the silver was depleted. In Stříbrná Skalice there are still preserved old mining shafts.
The village of Rovná was integrated with Skalice in 1935, and Hradec, Hradové Střimelice and Kostelní Střimelice were added as administrative parts in 1964. The abandoned villages of Kozly and Přibyslavice are also administered by the village.
In popular culture
The municipality features prominently in the video game Kingdom Come: Deliverance, developed by Czech studio Warhorse Studios and set during a war between forces loyal to Wenceslaus IV and his brother Sigismund in the early 15th century. The town, known in-game as Skalitz and then ruled by Radzig (Racek) Kobyla, falls victim to an army of Hungarian Cumans loyal to Sigismund at the beginning of the game. Rovná and Přibyslavice feature as villages separate from Skalice.