St. Anthony's College, Wattala

Add to Bucket ListAdded!

Quick Summary

Location
06°59'08"N
079°53'34"E
Country
 Sri Lanka
Categories
  • Uncathegorised
Rating
Take me there!

Description

St. Anthony's College (Sinhala: ශා. අන්තෝනි ජාතික පාසල වත්තල Tamil: சாந்த அந்தோனியார் மகா வித்தியாலயம்) is a boys' college in Wattala, Sri Lanka.

History

On 5 April 1942, Colombo was subjected to aerial bombing by the Japanese military for about 90 minutes. Many residents fled, with one group who traveled to the village of Wattala not wishing to return. The influx highlighted the town's need for a school. A temporary cadjan shed was erected on a large property of about 7.3 hectares (18 acres), located on Averiwatta Road. On 4 May 1942, a permanent school opened, with Bro. Vincent Joseph as Director, assisted by four other brothers. This school was a branch of three schools: St. Benedict's College; St. Joseph's College; and De la Salle College. The initial enrollment was 88 students. Most classes were housed in the shed, adjacent to the main building where the brothers lodged. Senior classes were held in the main house. The living conditions for the brothers were not comfortable absent electricity and running water. The Brothers had to draw water from a well to bathe and wash. In addition to the three schools already mentioned, boys came from Royal, St. Joseph's College, Ananda College, De Mazenod College, and other outstation schools. Most of these boys returned to their respective schools when conditions improved in Colombo. Most of the property was heavily vegetated and as the school population grew, the need for a playground increased. The students used the commercial service grounds near the Hunupitiya railway station, for games and physical activities. A sizable playground was constructed adjacent to the school within a year, where outdoor games like cricket, football, and volleyball were organised. 1942 concluded with a Parents' Day celebration. A temporary stage was put up at one end of the shed and each class contributed an item. 1943 several students returned to Colombo replaced by local boys. Absent facilities, the director of St. Benedict's College, Colombo allowed his laboratory to be used once a week for practical work in physics and chemistry. Ten students were presented for the first time for the SSC, which they all passed. Bro. Vincent Joseph, the school's director started taking steps to make the school independent and not a branch school. With the help of organised meetings of parents and the chiefs of the various religious organisations, he petitioned for a new school. The Education Ministry bowed to public opinion allowing and the new school was officially established.

Houses

The students are divided into four houses:

Vincent House

Named after Rev. Bro. Vincent Joseph Gottwald, the founder and the 1st Director of the college. Color : Purple

Stephen House

Named after Rev. Bro. Stephen Harding, the 2nd Director of the college. Color : Green

Callixtus House

Named after Rev. Bro. Anslem Callixtus, the 3rd Director of the college. Color : Red

Austin House

Named after Rev. Bro. Austin Anthony, the 4th Director of the college. Color : Pink

Notable alumni

Manoj Hemaratne - First-class cricket player (1985–2000) Thisara Perera - International cricket player (2011–2012) Manjula Munasinghe - One Day International cricket player (1986–1991) Chaminda Vass - International cricket player (1987–1993)

Past directors and principals

Directors

Principals

This dGuide uses material from the Wikipedia,
released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

Rating

Overall Rating
Please comment your rating:

Please log in to rate this dGuide!