The Stewart Manor station is one of five stations of the Long Island Rail Road that serve the village of Garden City, New York. It is located just south of Stewart Avenue, to the west of New Hyde Park Road. Contrary to its name, the station is not within the limits of the village of Stewart Manor. The village is just a few blocks to the west. There is ample permit parking available at the station.
Originally, the station was built in June 1873 as "Hyde Park", and served as one of the stations of the Central Railroad of Long Island, or "Stewart's Central Railroad", a commuter railroad that village founder Alexander Turney Stewart envisioned to provide transportation across the village. The station closed in October 1876, but was reopened by the LIRR in June 1878 as "Hyde Park Central" station, only to be abandoned on April 30, 1879. The station was reopened again as "Stewart Manor Station" in 1909, and included such features as a "foot subway", crossing gates at New Hyde Park Road, and an "SW Cabin" for controlling manual block signals between Floral Park and Garden City. In 1915, the station was a flag stop. The entrances to the "foot subway" which can be found east of Roosevelt Street on both Manor Road and Plaza Road, were remodeled at some point, and the station in general was remodeled in 2006. There is a ticket machine available in the waiting room as well as on the east side of the station house.
As of August 31, 2016, the station house has been closed for renovations. This includes new windows, doors, walls, benches, ceiling, new LED lighting, air conditioning and security cameras. Complete rehabilitation of the underpass and new station signage is also included in the renovation. After the new station house was completed in 2018, the Stewart Manor station underwent further renovations as part of the Enhanced Station Initiative. The platform decks were replaced as part of the project. Other updates included Wi-Fi, security cameras, improved lighting, new artwork, and Help Point intercoms.
This station has two high-level side platforms, each 10 cars long.