Svelvik [ˈsvæ̀ɽviːk] is a town in Drammen municipality, Viken county. It is also a former municipality, which was a part of former Vestfold county.
The town of Svelvik was separated from the rural municipality of Strømm to become a municipality of its own in 1845. The two municipalities were merged back together on 1 January 1964.
The Old Norse form of the name was Sverðvík. The first element is sverð n 'sword', the last element is vík f 'cove, wick'. A neighbouring farm has the name Sverstad (Norse Sverðstaðir). The word sverð probably refers to the promontory ridge Ryggen ('the back') in Hurum: This ridge lies right opposite Svelvik and Sverstad, and is almost (like a sword) cutting the Drammensfjord in two parts.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 4 September 1964. The arms show a gold-colored trident on a red background, as a symbol for the sea.
The narrow Svelvikstrømmen sound separates Svelvik from the municipality of Asker, and the county of Viken. This sound is served by a ferry, which has the shortest line in Norway.
The village is quite characteristic, with small winding streets and traditional, white-painted houses. Svelvik has many venues for swimming and sunbathing.
The newspaper Svelviksposten is published in Svelvik.