Villa Hidalgo Municipality is a municipality, in the north-east of the Mexican state of Sonora.
It was founded by the Jesuit missionary Marcos del Río in 1644 as (San Ignacio de) Oputo. On 1 April 1967 the State Congress ordered that it change its name from Oputo to its current name in honor of Mexican patriot Miguel Hidalgo.
The municipal area is 951.17 km2.
The population was 1,986 inhabitants (2.05 inhab./km2) in 2000.
The main economic activities are agriculture and cattle raising.