Zhukovka (Russian: Жу́ковка) is a town and the administrative center of Zhukovsky District in Bryansk Oblast, Russia, located on the left bank of the Desna River (Dnieper's basin) 56 kilometers (35 mi) northwest of Bryansk, the administrative center of the oblast. Population: 18,269 (2010 Census); 19,731 (2002 Census); 19,706 (1989 Census).
It was founded in 1868 as a railway station on the Riga–Oryol railway. In the years that followed, a settlement grew around the Zhukovka station. In 1914, there were fewer than 2,000 inhabitants. During World War II, it was occupied by the Germans on August 24, 1941. Town status was granted to it in 1962.
Administrative and municipal status
Within the framework of administrative divisions, Zhukovka serves as the administrative center of Zhukovsky District. As an administrative division, it is, together with seven rural localities, incorporated within Zhukovsky District as Zhukovsky Urban Administrative Okrug. As a municipal division, Zhukovsky Urban Administrative Okrug is incorporated within Zhukovsky Municipal District as Zhukovskoye Urban Settlement.
The 43-kilometer (27 mi) railway branch line leads to Kletnya.